Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies (High protein, low sugar)
If it's mint to be, it's mint to be!
To be completely honest with you I am not a fan of mint at all, like at all but if there’s chocolate involved I’ll be okay! I even enjoyed the Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies more than I thought I would!
I originally made them for my sister who wanted cookies but they turned out so good I ate 3 and figured if I didn’t even like mint and ate these I should share them!
These Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies are:
- Gluten free
- Grain Free
- Flour Free
- Keto Friendly
- Low sugar
- High Protein
- and Super Easy!
- 1 Egg
- Butter/Coconut Oil
- Monk fruit Sweetener
- Cacao Powder
- Chocolate Protein Powder
- Almond Milk
- Baking Soda
- Baking Powder
- Mint Chips!
- Optional- Peppermint oil (I did not add but you can if you like more mint!)
About the Ingredients:
- Monk fruit Sweetener- this sweetener is a natural sweetener made from the monkfruit plant which is a small, green gourd that resembles a melon. It’s grown in Southeast Asia and unlike other fruits, monk fruit’s sweetness comes from antioxidants called mogrosides.
Mogrosides are powerful antioxidants that help fight free radicals in the body. These free radicals are essentially molecules that invade your healthy cells that eventually damage and destroy these healthy cells that lead to disease later on in life. Mogrosides help protect these cells from damage because they inhibit oxidative stress which can be caused pollutants in the environment (air/water/ drugs/and psychological stress).
The brand of Monkfruit Sweetener I use is Lakanto brand. Their monkfruit is sourced from farmers that practice sustainable farming and never use pesticides on the plant.
2. Cacao Powder- Cacao Powder is basically a less processed form of cocoa powder that contain much higher levels of antioxidants (40x more than blueberries!) that help fight free radicals. I absolutely love Shop Karen Berrios Cacao Powder when purchasing cacao powder because Karen the owner sources her cacao right Peru where it is grown and produced without any pesticides and is 100% certified organic.
The reason I love this cacao powder so much compared to other cacao powder is because it’s a cacao from Crillo Trees so this cacao has a more rich chocolate flavor and is less chalky than most on the market. It is also a very rich source of plant iron, protein, fats, fiber, and potassium! If you’re looking for a high quality cacao while also wanting to support an amazing company, women, mom and friend I would highly recommend Karen’s Cacao and all of her superfood powders!
3. Protein Powder- If you’re new to my blog I’ll just be honest and say I love adding protein powder to my desserts! It acts as a flour in most of my recipes while providing an excellent source of protein to your diet. My top two protein powders I use is Nuzest and Organifi’s Protein powder. They are both a vegan protein powder with very clean ingredients. The main difference between the two is that Nuzest is mainly just a pea protein where as Organifi’s Protein is more of a meal that contains pre and probiotics, digestive enzymes and other superfoods like chia, coconut, fruits and vegetables. Both work in this recipe and I do know that other chocolate proteins work as well such as whey protein.
Make and Bake:
These cookies are a pretty typical cookie recipe so there isn’t really anything special about mixing and baking these but I will say its a good idea to add the butter, egg and sugar together first and beat together.
Once you have beaten the egg, butter and sugar together you can add the dry ingredients as well as the almond milk and mix well.
Save the chocolate chips until last and add extra once scooped for that fancy cookie look!
Once you scoop the cookies onto a baking sheet bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes! These cookies will be soft out of the oven so let them cool for a few minutes on the pan and then transfer them to a cooling rack.
Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies (Low Carb, High Protein)
- Mixing bowl
- stick butter vegan butter/coconut oil works as well
- 1 egg
- ⅔ Cup Monkfruit Sweetener I used Lakanto
- ½ Cup Cacao Powder
- ½ Cup Chocolate Protein Powder I used Nuzest
- ¼ Cup Almond Milk
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ½ Cup Mint chocolate chips
- *optional mint extract/ peppermint oil
- Add the butter (softened), the egg, and monkfruit sugar into a bowl and beat together.
- Add in the protein powder, cacao powder, and almond milk and mix well.
- Add in the baking soda, baking powder and chocolate chips and stir until well combined.
- With a cookies scoop, scoop cookies onto a baking sheet and bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes at 350°F.
- Once done let cool 2-3 minutes on the pan and then transfer to a cooling rack until room temp.
- * These cookies are soft and gooey! That's my favorite way to eat any cookie but if you like them a bit firmer just bake for a few more minutes!